Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Hollywood Theater Oscar Party - 2/24, 6:30pm-

I love Oscar parties.

That is, I love them when I can watch the show.

Over 20 years ago, I went to an Oscar party at a bar with a big screen in Worcester, MA. Got my Dad to go along. It was the year that Silence of the Lambs won a bunch of Oscars, and Billy Crystal came onstage as Hannial Lector, mask, restraints and all.

In 2004, I went to an Oscar party in Hollywood itself (only about a mile away from the then Kodak Theater) to join about 1,000 Lord of the Rings fans to celebrate the many nominations for Return of the King. That turned out to be the loudest Oscar party ever, when ROTK won all the Oscars for which it was nominated.

In 2012, I bought a ticket for "Lights, Camera, Oscar," an annual gala fundraiser for the Pittsburgh Film Office. While this party was a great idea in principle, it's a horrible party for the true Oscar fans. You couldn't sit down and watch the show. Once I realized that, I went home and got back in time to watch the whole show.

So, this year, I was pretty sure I was going to stay home and watch the show, but just found the Hollywood Theater in Dormont is having my kind of Oscar party - watching the Oscars on a big screen with movie fans. So I've bought my ticket and I'm going.

No comments:

Post a Comment