Saturday, February 22, 2014

Why 2013 Was a Lot Like 1939 and 1977 for Movie Lovers

I've seen yet another of the best movies of 2013, and it was stunning - Dallas Buyers Club. I've now seen seven of the nine Best Picture nominees, and will probably see 12 Years a Slave this week. The only one I really don't want to see is Wolf of Wall Street, so I might catch that on cable some day.

Increasingly, I think 2013 was the best year for movies since 1977, and may even rival 1939 for memorable, classic movies. Even a "lesser" movie like Her, the inclusion of which as a "Best Picture" nominee made some people puzzled, had intriguing performances and an intelligent look at how technology can take over some people's lives.

For many years, I've posted a lengthy article predicting the Oscars. In some ways, it may be harder than ever to predict this year, there have been so many excellent movies. Yes, it's likely 12 Years a Slave will take Best Picture and Gravity will take Best Director. But it could go off in so many directions.

I think movies like 12 Years a Slave, Gravity, American Hustle, Nebraska and Philomena will be talked about and rewatched in the way The Wizard of Oz, Gone With the Wind, Stagecoach and Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. These are the movies we'll remember.

No comments:

Post a Comment